Search This Blog

Monday, September 19, 2011

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting


These may be my favorite fall treat, also clearly made for the Wake Forest tailgate.  To be upfront and honest, because I hear those things are important, only the football ones here are pumpkin.  The "WF" ones are yellow cake with chocolate frosting because that is what one of my friends requested and well I aim to please.

So onto the deliciousness of the fall cupcakes

Ingredients - cupcakes
2 cups canned pumpkin (I have never tried it with actual pumpkin, but if someone does - let me know)
1 cup canola oil
4 eggs
1 and 3/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda
2 tsp cinnamon (this is to taste, I prefer lots of cinnamon and nutmeg)
2 tsp nutmeg (this is to taste, I prefer lots of cinnamon and nutmeg)
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar

Combine the canned pumpkin, canola oil and eggs in a mixer.  Beat well.  Then slowly add flour, mix to combine.  Then add everything else.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes (I am not sure about the actual time because I have a sixth sense as to when my cupcakes are done - mostly by checking them frequently).  If you can put the toothpick in them and it comes out clean, it is done.

Ingredients - frosting
1 brick of cream cheese (not sure off the top of my head how much it is, but you know what I am talking about - the stuff that comes in the box, also I used the reduced fat it no one knew)
1/2 stick of margarine
1 bag of powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp milk

The key to making this frosting if you want to do things such as pipe it is to put the liquids in last - remember a little goes a LONG way in frosting.  So first combine cream cheese, margarine and powdered sugar.  Also make sure to start the mixer slowly so not to have the powdered sugar coat your counter. (I tend to have a problem remembering that if I add more powered sugar, then I end up with powder sugar all over my phone, move phone and somehow have to IM my friend to call said phone and find out I had put it in the silverware drawer.  But hey I am forgetful).

After it is combined slowly add the vanilla and milk.  And I mean add a very little, let the mixer do the work, if it is not as thin as you want, add a little more, and keep going.

Then spread on the frosting and/or pipe however you want!  Enjoy fall yumminess!

No comments:

Post a Comment