Search This Blog

Friday, August 26, 2011

Blueberry Cobbler

So I offered to make my friend's bday cake, little to realize that according to his awesome girlfriend, his favorite is blueberry cobbler.  Blueberries are high on my list of favorite things, but I have never made one of these before, nor have I actually ever made a fruit pie.  So I was a bit worried.  On top of that, the birthday party was cooking out and playing volleyball (both of which are awesome and ended up being really fun) but started at 6pm on a Friday, making me have to rush from work to get there at 7pm.

So think that this cobbler taste alright, at least I liked it, so I am sharing the recipe.  Which was modified from one found on localkitchenblog.com.  Unfortunately I was in a hurry so did not take any pictures while making it and this is the only finished picture I have.



Ingredients
4 pints of blueberries
zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 1/2 cup of sugar
little pinch of salt
2 Tablespoons of  acai-blueberry vodka (or any other type of berry liquor and this is optional)
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 sticks of margarine
2 cups of flour


In a bowl - mix berries, lemon zest and juice, 1/2 cup sugar, salt, and liquor - allow to sit for a couple of hours (it allows the berries to release some of their juices)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Spray your 11x13 inch pan with cooking oil.  In another bowl - mix together 1 stick of margarine, 1 cup of flour, and 1 cup of sugar together until crumbly.  I then patted this into the bottom of the pan as a bottom crust.  I then put this in the oven for about 5 minutes.

Strain the fruit mixture, collecting the liquid, syrupy stuff in saucepan.  Bring this liquid to a boil, let it boil for a few minutes.  Then whisk in cornstarch and sugar.  Allow it to boil for another minute until the mixture starts to thicken.  Then remove from heat.

Put the berries in the syrup and mix thoroughly.  Then add this to the pan where the cobbler will be.

Mix together another stick of margarine, cup of flour and cup of sugar until crumbly.  Sprinkle on top of blueberries.

Place in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, the top should be a nice golden color and the blueberry juice should be bubbling.

When we served this we warmed it (and by we I mean Birthday Boy's Girlfriend because I am not all about the grille) on the grille.

Important lesson learned, placing 26 candles into a warm birthday cobbler means that the candles will melt and get wax in your cobbler.  However, even with the addition of wax, it was still tasty.


No comments:

Post a Comment