Search This Blog

Monday, August 22, 2011

Dark and Stormy!!!

RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!!

So I dedicate this post to my good friend from law school R.  (not sure if she wants her name posted, so she is called R.)  She introduced me to this fantastic drink and was always a fabulous hostess when she would have people over to watch Project Runway or play Rock Band.  Also note, I miss playing Rock Band.

So to make up for my lack of posting, this is a double header - drink and jam.  I promise not all my jams are inspired by drinks.  So onto the Kraken...


Dark and Stormys are easy to make as a drink.  Get some ice pour in some black spiced rum, add some ginger beer.  Now while R. always had Goslings as her black rum of choice.  I personally much prefer the Kraken.  One the flavor is just a little better.  Two, the bottle is just kind of awesome looking and well - the Kraken squid monster  or as the bottle says "sea beast of myth and legend" could totally take a seal and mess it up.  See my drawing below....  However, any type of black rum is tasty in this drink.


(To be fair - first year of law school, when we did not have the internet I was much better at paint drawings)


Next up.... the Dark and Stormy Plum Jam

Ingredients
1 cup black spiced rum (preferably Kraken)
10-12 plums
4 cups sugar
juice of 1 lemon
3 hunks candied ginger
1 T powdered ginger
1 package powdered pectin

Wash, pit and chop up the plums.  Leave the skins on.


Next add 1 cup black spiced rum, juice of 1 lemon (this is probably not necessary because of the alcohol, but I am new at this whole chemistry thing and did not want to worry about it.), and ginger.  Now this is a lot of ginger and will make it taste very gingery - feel free to cut back, it should be to taste.


Bring mixture to boil.  Then add in sugar.  Boil from 15 to 20 minutes, stirring regularly. Then add pectin, boil for an additional 5 minutes or so until it starts gelling.

Ladle into sterilized jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace.  Wipe rims, place warm lids on then rings.  Process in water boiler canner for 10 minutes.  Then spread on a rye bread of pumpernickel for a fantastic experience.  



No comments:

Post a Comment