Search This Blog

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Blackberry-Orange Jam



I am pretty sure that my favorite fruit is blackberries.  They are just so delicious.  I currently have blackberry rum, blackberry lime rum, and spiced blackberry rum in jars in my closet fermenting for the right time.  Anyway, I could not pass up the blackberries when I saw them at the farmer's market.  After making another batch of regularly blackberry jam I wanted to try something a bit more creative.  That is when I thought, why not combine them with oranges.  So then I went to the canning blogs I follow and found something close and then changed it a bit.  Here is the recipe

Adopted from a recipe in Foodinjars.com

4 cups of fresh squeezed orange juice - I cheated and got the fresh squeezed stuff from the store.
6 cups of blackberries
4.5 cups of sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 lemon
2 packets liquid pectin

First wash your blackberries, then put them in a blender and set to puree.  There should be 4 cups of pureed blackberries.

Combine the orange juice, pureed blackberries and sugar.
Let the mixture reach a boil, stirring frequently to prevent it from boiling over.  I suggest using a big pot because it can also splatter when boiling and that does not feel good.
Add the cinnamon and nutmeg.
Zest the lemon and add the zest as well as juice from the lemon.
Stir to combine.
Continue to cook it until the mixture appears to be thinking a bit, this normally happens around 220 degrees.
Then add the pectin, let the jam boil for at least 5 more minutes.

At this point you will want to fill the jars that have already been steralized in boiling water and should still be warm.
Wipe the rims and apply the warm lids (lids should be placed in a simmering water pan while you are preparing everything else, I suggest a crockpot if you have one), then turn the rings.
Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes.

Remove from canner and allow jars to cool.  Check to make sure that the button the top is down and that the lids sealed.  Label and then enjoy later!

(Note sometimes it takes a day or so for the pectin to full activate and make your jam jam-like).





No comments:

Post a Comment